Skip to main content

Deadlift

Something extraordinary happened just about a week ago, after more than a year of struggle,  I suddenly got my Deadlift.

It is really hard to believe :)

Just as usual I halfheartedly tried it without any hope for success, just as a part of my training where I did 2 - 3 attempts during every practice session. And "Holy  Shit! What just happened?!" I did it! I would like to say something inspiring about me consistently practicing, conditioning, doing complimentary training and stuff, but that's not quite true. It just happened. There was no getting closer day by day, or even clumsily making it happen for the first time. Deadlift turned from non-existent to quite a decent looking in just that one session.

I never tried an aerial version before, as obviously thought it would be harder than doing it from the ground, but decided to give it a go anyway, cause why not? And it worked marvelously! To be honest I thought I was just deceiving myself, doing something wrong or cheating. So I tried a couple more times and it worked again. So I filmed it to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. 

The only reason I can think of that really helped was a 2,5 week break with zero exercising involved. Maybe,  that is what was needed, to just stop and take a deep breath, before throwing myself back into more intense pole training. However, there were some minor changes to my usual routine, that might have had an impact on my body. First of all, I started taking silks classes once a week. Not much, but I felt like some new muscles got involved in the process. Another helpful thing was a resistance band I got from Rubberbanditz, that was initially purchased to assist with my stretching . I could barely lift myself using the band as an extra support, but gained a general understanding of what it feels like, and how heavy my bum is :) I suppose a combination of all of the above made it happen.

For me personally, it is a huge step up. There are so many epic combos I always drooled about, unable to try, because they all involved a Deadlift. Now I can finally start tapping into them. Boosting my confidence was very nice for a change too. I've been feeling like a potato sack in the last few month, with no progress happening, and pole goals list for the year not getting any shorter. 

At this stage no variations to the very basic static pole Deadlift are possible, trying it on a spinner resulted in a miserable fail, heavy bum issue persists here, but there is hope for future progress. At this stage the plan is to gradually build up my strength and not overdo it. It would by very unpleasant to lose all this progress due to unfortunate injury. So despite my natural scepticism my spirits are up and I'm ready for the new pole adventures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Layback Trouble

It may seem silly to a lot of pole dancers, including beginners, that I'm covering this topic. Lots of people get their Ful Layback in the first two months, others however are struggling with it for quite some time. When I first started pole dancing, most beginners moves were quite easy for me. Onehanded Layback was not a problem either.And then I tried the Layback, and it didn't work. At all. The problem was in a fear, irrational of course, my grip was holding OK,  but my brain wasn't convinced. Those last centimeters seemed like a gaping abyss I'll fall into, should I let go off my hands. It was extremely frustrating. I enjoyed pole so much and wanted to progress faster, inspired by students from more advanced classes. So annoying to get stuck with something simple, according to other students. Embarrassing as it is, I gave up on the move, telling myself that there a lot of other exciting stuff to learn and Layback can wait just a little bit longer. After t...

Superman Superpain

I'm sure every single pole dancer at some point of their pole journey wished to get a perfect Superman. And by that I don't mean to find a super attractive boyfriend to show off their fantastic pole skills to :) Superman is a pain. Literally. When I tried it for the first time it felt like my skin was burning and freezing at the same time. Every attempt left fresh bruises that just wouldn't go away. Not sure what is wrong with this particular trick. It takes ages to find a spot that doesn't hurt like hell, but then it miraculously stops being painful and you're sweet just hanging there for ages. At least that's how it was for   me . I managed to hold the move fairly quickly after I first started working on it. It didn't look too bad either, but damn, the pain was unbearable! You can always keep a poker face and pretend that nothing is going on, but if it hurts then the move is not well executed. I do realize now, that the problem was in my body positi...