Skip to main content

Jade Split Progress

Why the Jade? It is one of the relatively easy split moves that you can start learning once you’re confident with your Gemini/Scorpio/Pike. But more importantly, it always gets a WOW from the crowd. I remember how happy I was, once I managed to hold it. The split however looked much more like V rather than a straight line.

Is your flexibility important to get there? Definitely. However, without a proper hold no matter how great your splits are, you’ll simply end up on the floor. So to succeed you should focus on the hold, without it you’ll never be confident enough with your Jade. Once you've secured your grip on the pole, it's time to start bringing that front leg down. If you are not a flexibility queen the first result may look more like a V, which doesn't mean it's bad, but that you are on a right track and will need just a bit more time to get that Jade straight. Another way to make it look good is to bend your back leg: same hold, but no need for a full split.

May 2015. Just got the Jade. So happy, even though it's nowhere near how proper Jade supposed to look like


January 2016. As you can see. It took A LOT of time to improve and it's still not quite there yet. Still a massive step up from where I started.

Not sure if it’s just me, but with lots of moves my good hold side is also my bad split side (oops!). For me personally it’s way easier to train a move on the bad side, than struggle with my left split trying to touch the floor. Plus, it’s that extra motivation to finally start working on that bad side!

Unfortunately progress doesn't happen in an instant. It took me 9 months to get to the point where I was happy with my Jade. It's all about not giving up and moving forward at your own pace. Then one day you'll realize that a move that seem next to impossible to perform is actually really easy.


I still can’t hold Jade variation, so will need to create a separate post for it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Layback Trouble

It may seem silly to a lot of pole dancers, including beginners, that I'm covering this topic. Lots of people get their Ful Layback in the first two months, others however are struggling with it for quite some time. When I first started pole dancing, most beginners moves were quite easy for me. Onehanded Layback was not a problem either.And then I tried the Layback, and it didn't work. At all. The problem was in a fear, irrational of course, my grip was holding OK,  but my brain wasn't convinced. Those last centimeters seemed like a gaping abyss I'll fall into, should I let go off my hands. It was extremely frustrating. I enjoyed pole so much and wanted to progress faster, inspired by students from more advanced classes. So annoying to get stuck with something simple, according to other students. Embarrassing as it is, I gave up on the move, telling myself that there a lot of other exciting stuff to learn and Layback can wait just a little bit longer. After t...

Beautiful Butterfly

Butterfly deserves a separate post. It is pretty, easy and fun. Butterfly is such a pretty shape. It doesn't require any extreme flexibility or strength, but looks absolutely stunning It was my very first 'advanced' move, or so I thought at the beginning of my pole journey. It's funny how my perception of a 'cool move' changed with time and experience,  but I still consider Butterfly  beautiful and worth putting in a routine. Just for a change I had no particular struggle with the Butterfly,  apart from a minor body positioning issue. And that was back when I had to cheekily jump into my Invert (yes, we all did that). Facing the pole, while holding a perfect shape seemed to confuse me a little. My body tended to turn either to one side or another. I could still easily hold the move, but the shape was a bit crooked and imperfect. Not sure exactly how I overcame the issue,  just lots of practice,  I guess. And I did practice it a lot, alongside wi...

Superman Superpain

I'm sure every single pole dancer at some point of their pole journey wished to get a perfect Superman. And by that I don't mean to find a super attractive boyfriend to show off their fantastic pole skills to :) Superman is a pain. Literally. When I tried it for the first time it felt like my skin was burning and freezing at the same time. Every attempt left fresh bruises that just wouldn't go away. Not sure what is wrong with this particular trick. It takes ages to find a spot that doesn't hurt like hell, but then it miraculously stops being painful and you're sweet just hanging there for ages. At least that's how it was for   me . I managed to hold the move fairly quickly after I first started working on it. It didn't look too bad either, but damn, the pain was unbearable! You can always keep a poker face and pretend that nothing is going on, but if it hurts then the move is not well executed. I do realize now, that the problem was in my body positi...