Skip to main content

Pole Goals


Regardless of a pole dance level we all have that special move on the horizon we're desperately trying to achieve.

Knee hold has been my Nemesis move for ages. Finally got it last year

Pole Goals make me try harder every time a come to studio to practice. Achieving them helps tracking my progress and generally makes me feel good for a time. Here is a list of moves I tried to get at different stages of my pole journey.

Beginners (poling for less than a year):
1) Butterfly 
2) Gemini - Scorpio transition 
3) Superman  (what a surprise)

Intermediate (2 years into pole):
1) Shoulder Mount 
2) Aeysha 
3) Jade

Advanced (not even sure I'm 100% on this level after almost 3 years of doing pole):
1) Iron X (total nemesis move)
2) Russian Split
3) Iguana Air Walk (or whatever it's called)

Expert (hoping to be here one day):
1) Fongi
2) Deadlift (if I do it, I'll die happy)
3) Spatchcock
4) Bird of Paradise
5) Starfish  (it simply looks insane)

That lot is all in a very long run, and I do have a more realistic list of goals. It's quite likely I'll get these moves before Christmas if I really focus on them instead of doing half-assed attempts near the end of a class. So the doable list is as follows:

1) Devil's Elbow
Crazy painful, but doable. And pretty, very pretty, so pretty I'm very angry with myself for not being able to do it yet.

2) Brass Monkey Lift
I sort of have a brain freeze every time I try it. Technically, I should be strong enough to do it, but still no luck.

3) Ballerina
Used to sort of do it when just started pole. One of the prettiest spinner moves ever! Unfortunately, my shoulders are so tight now I can't bring my arm around the pole any more. This one requires a lot of effort on my side, but it may still be possible. 

Good thing to remember about pole goals is that they should be achievable. No need to sulk over Rainbow Marchenko if you can't even do a simple invert. Sometimes I set a goal, try it and realise how far I'm actually from the level required to master the move. Consulting your instructor may help. You may not be ready for that special move yet, but nothing stops you from working on a base to build on. That was a case with Aeysha. I started with practicing a Caterpillar climb  and on move that I'm pretty sure is called D. It helped so much to get the balance required for successful Aeysha, so I could do it in no time.

I found myself in similar situation while learning a lot of other moves. Jallegra is easy if you can do both Allegra and Jade, Brass bridge is much easier if you've got a solid Brass Monkey etc. Pole journey is made of small steps that I'm slowly climbing up, and missing some steps may hinder your further progress without you realising it.

My pole goals are not purely about the tricks and combos. The one I'm aiming for this year is performing in heels for the first time. It is so outside my comfort zone. Sexy stuff is super hard for me, I feel stupid, like a sloth trying to dance. But I also know that doing so will improve my confidence and expand the variety of things I can do on the pole.

A pole goal can be something as simple as pointing your toes all the time. As long as it gives a feeling of achievement, it's fantastic!

The bad side of setting certain goals is frustration, the feeling I'm all too familiar with. You try over and over, but it just doesn't happen: your splits are as far from the floor as they was 3 months ago, that leg in Extended Butterfly is not straight,  the combo that's supposed to be flowy looks stiff and edgy. Frustration is what puts most people off the pole after completing a beginners course. Not that I'm surprised, pole Fitness is not easy, it may look like it when you watch somebody perform,  but behind every performance are years of hard work. I deal with bad times in my training very often, feel discouraged and useless, but always push through, just like I push through the pain to increase my flexibility. I always remind myself why I started pole dancing, think of all the moves I haven't got yet, and it helps me to move on.

As long as I have pole goal is realistic it helps a lot on my pole journey, making it more fun, challenging and diverse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Layback Trouble

It may seem silly to a lot of pole dancers, including beginners, that I'm covering this topic. Lots of people get their Ful Layback in the first two months, others however are struggling with it for quite some time. When I first started pole dancing, most beginners moves were quite easy for me. Onehanded Layback was not a problem either.And then I tried the Layback, and it didn't work. At all. The problem was in a fear, irrational of course, my grip was holding OK,  but my brain wasn't convinced. Those last centimeters seemed like a gaping abyss I'll fall into, should I let go off my hands. It was extremely frustrating. I enjoyed pole so much and wanted to progress faster, inspired by students from more advanced classes. So annoying to get stuck with something simple, according to other students. Embarrassing as it is, I gave up on the move, telling myself that there a lot of other exciting stuff to learn and Layback can wait just a little bit longer. After t...

Superman Superpain

I'm sure every single pole dancer at some point of their pole journey wished to get a perfect Superman. And by that I don't mean to find a super attractive boyfriend to show off their fantastic pole skills to :) Superman is a pain. Literally. When I tried it for the first time it felt like my skin was burning and freezing at the same time. Every attempt left fresh bruises that just wouldn't go away. Not sure what is wrong with this particular trick. It takes ages to find a spot that doesn't hurt like hell, but then it miraculously stops being painful and you're sweet just hanging there for ages. At least that's how it was for   me . I managed to hold the move fairly quickly after I first started working on it. It didn't look too bad either, but damn, the pain was unbearable! You can always keep a poker face and pretend that nothing is going on, but if it hurts then the move is not well executed. I do realize now, that the problem was in my body positi...

Deadlift

Something extraordinary happened just about a week ago, after more than a year of struggle,  I suddenly got my Deadlift. It is really hard to believe :) Just as usual I halfheartedly tried it without any hope for success, just as a part of my training where I did 2 - 3 attempts during every practice session. And "Holy  Shit! What just happened?!" I did it! I would like to say something inspiring about me consistently practicing, conditioning, doing complimentary training and stuff, but that's not quite true. It just happened. There was no getting closer day by day, or even clumsily making it happen for the first time. Deadlift turned from non-existent to quite a decent looking in just that one session. I never tried an aerial version before, as obviously thought it would be harder than doing it from the ground, but decided to give it a go anyway, cause why not? And it worked marvelously! To be honest I thought I was just deceiving myself, doing something wr...